Tuesday, 16 October 2012

White Cloth Gallery Visit

I recently went to a gallery to see the work of a photographer called Ewan Spencer at the White Cloth Gallery, Leeds. The presentation of this work was surprising, mainly because the photographs had been torn and stained with glue. This was surprising, because the photographer had been working on these photographs for 15 years, so you would have expected him to have treated them a little better and want them to be displayed neatly. I believe Ewan Spencer was trying to create ‘word of mouth’ by displaying his photographs in this rough style, which unfortunately, in my mind, did not help the photographs at all.


The prints themselves were all a very large scale printed and mounted in a poster style. I thought this was interesting as it gives the viewer a chance to fully appreciate all the smaller details of the photographs which they may not have been able to see had they been printed on a smaller scale.
The photographs were all trying to represent youth culture in Britain, and they were all of a range of different things because of this. However, I do think that the photographs all worked well as a series and complemented each other accordingly.
I enjoyed the photographs and thought the style and message were interesting, however I think the rough layout of the photographs were a bit of a disappointment.


No comments:

Post a Comment